I started this blog in June 2008, when I began a sabbatical from work. I've used this site mainly to keep interested parties aware of my explorations and findings during my travels.
Friday, October 3, 2008
Florence
On Tuesday, we took a motorcoach from Rome to Florence. I opted out of the wine-tasting excursion that afternoon, in favor of some independent exploration of Florence by foot. Guided by a proposed walking tour found in the green Michelin Guide (hat tip to Karen and Vince for the suggestion), I previewed a number of sites we would visit during our guided tour on Thursday. My overview impression as I explored was of walking through a living museum. I was a little overwhelmed by the masses of people touring the city; there were times when I had to "ride" the human traffic flow, subsequently backtracking to my intended path.
On Thursday, our guided tour took us to Galleria dell’Accademia, where we observed Michelangelo's David for a good 30 minutes. Restrictions on photography here, as well as at the Uffizi Gallery, and in the churches, prevented me from providing uploads to the site of these treasures, but I consider my time observing these treasures to be among the great highlights of the tour. More thanks to Karen for the tips on "must-sees" in Florence, and to niece Sarah for guiding me to the best gelato in Florence.
No comments:
Post a Comment