Having earned my music festival stripes in

I ended up spending nearly all of the day at the Banjo Stage, making a brief side trip to see/hear a few songs by Richard Thompson.
I always enjoy Jimmie Dale, and this performance was no exception. The Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band and Hot Rize
were also fun; Three Girls & Their Buddy (Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin, Shawn Colvin & Buddy Miller)
was a performance of the “songwriters’ circle” style, with each lady taking lead on a song in series, and they frankly never developed any synergy in their performance, which was a little disappointing for all the talent on the stage. Odetta was a revelation – I knew nothing of her prior to her performance, which was charismatic and scintillating; that day, and especially after her recent passing, I felt very fortunate to have seen and heard her perform.
Steve Earle & the Bluegrass Dukes closed the day, and they were very, very good. As I was leaving the park, I heard a few snippets of Robert Earl Keen’s concurrent performance on another stage, which I probably would have ventured over to see had I not seen him perform a stellar show in
The next big event on my calendar in October was my college reunion (25 years!) at Stanford. Festivities began on Thursday afternoon, with a round of golf at the Stanford Golf Course with Phil Moeller. Both of us had our moments of glory [he more than I], and Phil emerged as the winner of the Rinconada Cup. After a little 19th-hole action, Phil and I connected with Jim B. for a great dinner, conversation, and reminiscing at the Village Pub in Woodside. I spent Friday on the Farm, and enjoyed time catching up with old friends and meeting new ones. A highlight of this reunion (as with prior reunions) was the mid-afternoon class panel, a roundtable discussion among Class of ‘83ers about our perspectives of our experiences in the 25-29 years since our intense, shared time on Farm. Best of all was subsequently convening for a couple of hours with a dozen classmates and friends outside the cafĂ© at the

The Cardinal gridders then knocked off the Arizona Wildcats, in cardiac comeback fashion. A couple hours of post-game tailgating in Parking Lot 2, then a walk across campus to our class “mini-reunion” party tent. It was especially fun to catch up with my frosh dorm-mates from Alondra
and the other Flo Mo houses, and, again, to begin new friendships with classmates I met for the first time that evening. By 10 PM, I headed back to my car in Parking Lot 2, and that’s when the exhaustion hit me. I made it home safely (including a moment of prescience regarding a deer walking west on Hwy 92 in my lane at the bottom of the hill), and then spent a couple of days resting my bones and my vocal cords.
Before next hitting the road, I met up with fellow Woodside Fund alum Angelos (betrothed 2 days earlier) for some catching up over beers and appetizers on the sunny deck at the Half Moon Bay Brewery. It was so nice to get out on my bicycle along the Coast, which I have not been doing enough during the times that I have been at home.
On the 15th, I hit the road, driving down to
Just as well. I did a little bit of exploring/touring in the North Kohala area during this trip to Hawai’i, but I ended up spending the bulk of my time at the resort, either on the beach, at poolside, or on my lanai, resting and relaxing (and monitoring the Phillies’ World Series exploits), and it felt great to be unencumbered by any to-do lists or schedules.

Before departing, I made my regular stop at the Kona Coffee Roasting Company, to replenish my personal inventory and to begin some Christmas shopping. I very much enjoy Kona coffee!
October was a very good month.

No comments:
Post a Comment